Friday, February 18, 2011

First production

I experienced my first shoot last night (it was cancelled last week).   I am in charge of audio, even though I've never done audio before.  Or any production since high school.  It turned out to be pretty simple.  I had an "assistant" to hold the boom, and I operated the field recorder.  I didn't bring headphones (no one told me to.  I guess I was supposed to just know), but I had ear buds in my car.  I think I should try and find some youtube instructional videos to learn more.  We'll be back to shooting next week.

It was a pretty good night.  We started at 11pm, and ended at 1:30 (it was freezing, and we were in an alley downtown).  Everyone did such a good job, I was really impressed.  Watching the script come to life was hilarious, a lot funnier than I had thought.

So, here are the pros and cons:  Pros - it was a great experience;  watching everything unfold, seeing how things were run.  I really feel like I can do this.  I feel like I can take on my own project and know what I'm doing.  I'm taking Field Production next quarter, and I've been really nervous about it, but now I'm really excited.

Cons - My plan to "fake it til i made it," was a failure.  I just can't do that.  It feels like lying.  My insecurities totally got the better of me, and I felt incompetent for a majority of the time.

I'm okay with that though.  The pros outweigh the cons.  I know I have a different learning curve with this stuff.  But once I get the hang out it, watch out!  I will be an unstoppable force.

1 comment:

  1. Don't they have, like, a textbook you can read??

    P.S. I like the new design. Reminds me of "Now I'm hunched over a typewriter . I guess you'd call that painting in a cave..."

    ReplyDelete